Writing this to help any newcomers to crypto and Monero realize the differences and why one is better than the other.
Full Node Pros:
- More secure since you have your own copy of the blockchain which communicates with peers to confirm each node sees the same thing and avoiding any compromised nodes data.
- It helps keep the network operational and more secure.
- Disk storage is relatively cheap in this day and age and will only get cheaper.
Full Node Cons:
- Takes a while (hours to days) to verify and synchronize even using an NVME SSD. Though a HDD is many times slower for syncing.
- Takes longer to get up and running.
- The fact you need to use local storage.
Remote Node Pros:
- Faster initial synchronization to get up and running.
- Minimal local storage space used.
Remote Node Cons:
- Having to trust another internet computer and their copy of the blockchain.
- More people using less nodes is a danger to decentralization.
- Can't run your own P2Pool node.
- Can't solo mine.
I think this covers most of the important cases that I could think of at the moment.